Home     About Me     Disclosure/PR     Affiliates     New to Cloth     FlatsChallenge

May 27, 2012

{31 Days of Blogging} Day 27 - Food, Glorious Food!

Sorry, again I was compelled to break into song when writing the blog title. I tend to have random one line lyrics running through my head, so they pop up whenever they find their chance.
Anyway, today I want to post one of my all-time favorite recipes. Now, this has changed, been added to in the past, but it is such a comfort food for me and now Hubby. I make this mostly during winter months and also when I can get cabbage on the cheap.

Cabbage and Noodles
1 Sm. head of Cabbage, chopped to desired bite size
    - Mom has used a food processor in the past to quicken the chopping
1 lb box of Noodles - pick your fav. shape
1 lb bacon - chopped to bite size
1 sm to med onion chopped - optional


Prepare noodles to al dente, drain, and set aside. (I tend to be working on the other steps while the water comes to a boil and then noodles cook)
Cook bacon, drain, set aside. You can reserve some of the drippings to add flavor and moisture to next step.
In large pot, cook down the cabbage (and onion) to tender, using drippings or oil to help with sticking. If you are wanting to cut down on some dishes, I use the noodle pot for this, while the bacon and noodles sit together in a bowl. 
Combine all ingredients into the large pot. Mix well. Set the temp on the stove to low. Allow to sit and get all kinds of happy for a few hours, until supper time. Stir every once in a while to make sure nothing is sticking to your pot bottom. 


We started adding the onion just to add another little bit of flavor to the dish. We like it. Also, have fun with what kind of bacon you use, applewood smoked, thick cut, double smoked, etc. To help us save even more money on this dish, we have found a local butcher who sells bacon scraps (the parts he just can't use on his regular bacon, odds and ends). They are much cheaper than buyer a pound of bacon, so I buy these instead (buying like a pound and a quarter helps if you end up with more fat and meat).

No comments:

Reader Survey

Please feel free to complete this short survey to give me a better idea of who my readers are. Thank you!
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.