Home     About Me     Disclosure/PR     Affiliates     New to Cloth     FlatsChallenge

Mar 14, 2010

Our First Night using cloth

Last night was our first night using cloth over night instead of disposable. I should have thought better of this, than to try something like this when we are losing an hour anyway. So, Yesterday we were at my mom's house until almost LJ's bedtime. He was running around so much and really wore himself out. Good, right? Well, that made him sleepy enough to not drink all that much of his milk. So, LJ gets to bed around 830 last night (930 thinking of the time change). Hubby and I get to bed almost 1030 (time change time). When we got LJ ready for bed, we put on his one Happy Heiny's diaper (aplix) that was stuffed with a SuperDo, and for good measure I put his wool shorties on him. At ten of 4 this morning he woke up I think partially from a bad dream and then thirst. So, we got a drink of milk and watched a few minutes of backyardgians before heading back to bed (about 20 min. later). I thought to myself, maybe this means he will sleep later than usual since he was up when we was. Boy was I WRONG! 615 this morning LJ was up. What did he do as soon as I opened the door? Pat his diaper saying he needed changed. Even using a SuperDo, I couldn't get a full night's sleep.
While I really would love to be able to cloth diaper at night, I think I am going to stick with disposables for night times. I mean at least I can keep it down to one a day. You know? There is just no way that with a Super Do and still waking early, we can do this. We need our sleep, LJ in particular. He was sooooo sleepy then today while at church. If he stumbled and went to his knees, he wouldn't get up. One time he ended up just lying there in the army crawl position. It was precious, but I knew he was just so sleepy. I am a little bummed, but this past night was a learning experience. Who knows, we may do more cloth at night with baby number two, but I think with LJ it is a bust. :(

3 comments:

Beccalynn said...

if your baby is used to disposables at night it might take a while to get him accustomed to cloth. My daughter always does cloth and I don't even put anything extra in it, and she'll sleep through the night anyway. The insert is SATURATED when I take it out, but it doesn't seem to bother her, and it never leaks.

When I started using some prefolds and fitteds in addition to her pockets she used to fuss when she got wet because she wasn't used to feeling wet cloth against her skin, but after a few days it didn't bother her as much.

Obviously you can do what you want and no one will judge you ;-) but I'd try CD at night a couple of different ways to see how it works. ANd I'd try a diaper with microsuede because no matter how much my daughter wets, her skin feels dry with microsuede. Rocky Mountain Diapers have a good, thick microsuede!

Good luck!

Lyn said...

Thanks. I do have I think 2 RMDs so maybe I will try one of them sometime. I also have a knickernappies with loopydos that I was thinking of trying.
Of course I have a feeling part of all of this is due to lack of sleep. :) Maybe he just needs time to adjust. Thanks for the uplifting and helpful note. :-)

Erin said...

I had a heck of a time finding a good nighttime diaper for my son - and he's not even a super heavy wetter!! I tried the superdo in some fuzzi bunz, and he leaked through. It was at that point that I gave up for awhile. I don't know what made me try again, but we did the superdo in a knickernappies diaper and he can go all night with no problem! One day I even left it on him for a bit after he woke up and he didn't leak! I'm not sure if the extra washes of the superdo helped it to teach it's full absorbency, or if the fuzzi bunz were just a bad fit with the insert.

Also, applecheeks. With the bamboo insert on the boy fold we can go through the night quite easily!!

Good luck finding the one that words for you!! I understand that it's a very frustrating task!

Reader Survey

Please feel free to complete this short survey to give me a better idea of who my readers are. Thank you!
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.