Home     About Me     Disclosure/PR     Affiliates     New to Cloth     FlatsChallenge

Mar 24, 2010

My New found Love

Since the switch to cloth diapers, I have found myself more in love with different ways to go cheap, go clean and go green. Well, let me tell you; I am in love with home-made cleaners now. I bought a big thing of distilled white vinegar when I started to CD. I knew in the back of my mind that I could use it as a cleaner, but wasn't sure exactly, so I started looking it up. Well, I found more than just ways to use vinegar. I found reasons to use home-made versus store bought chemicals. Earlier today Suburban Saving Mama actually posted a blog and had some great points why you should natural cleaners. you can see her post HERE. You can also enter to win some great cleaners HERE. I was never fond of the smells chemicals would leave. When I had LJ I was always wondering how much residue might be left and if he might touch it, get it on his hands and then put his hands in his mouth (like all kids do). So, after going to countless websites I found that to use things you tend to keep around the house anyway, you can make really simple but powerful cleaners. Yesterday I was hit with the cleaning bug, so I started to tackle the bathroom. LJ loves when we spend time in the bathroom, he gets in to everything! So, I cleaned out everything that wasn't needed and started spraying and scrubbing. For my starter mix all I did was mix some water with some vinegar (I tend not to measure things maybe a 1-1 ratio). I also added a little lemon juice to cut through the vinegar smell a little. Some sites say you can add rubbing alcohol to be streak free on your windows and mirrors, well I didn't have to. I cleaned our bathroom mirror and it is so clean and shiny now. I love it! There was about three years of dust on our baseboard (yes I usually forget all about it when I am cleaning). I knew it was going to be a bit of a chore as it gets all nice and crusted on when we take nice hot showers. I sprayed my cleaner on my rag and it came right off with no problem.
I love home-made cleaners! Here are some sites you can check out if you would like to learn more about making your own home-made cleaners.
The top three Home Cleaners
Kitchen cleaning Tips
How to make a non-toxic cleaning kit
www.vinegartips.com
Homemade Cleaners
www.momsbudget.com
http://www.simplyneutral.com/

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Great post! You should enter the Simply Neutral giveaway and then say that you blogged about it for 3 extra entries...just add their website to the bottom of your linked list if you wanted to get the extra entries!

I am madly in LOVE with their cleaners, sponges, and towels...such simple ways to 'go green'.

Reader Survey

Please feel free to complete this short survey to give me a better idea of who my readers are. Thank you!
Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world's leading questionnaire tool.